We work with a variety of organizations that care about the health and well-being of the local fishing community.
Massachusetts Fishermen’s Partnership
We have been working hand-in-hand with the Massachusetts Fishermen’s Partnership since both our organizations grew from the fishing industry in the mid-‘90s. The MFP is a trade association representing the interests of commercial fishing organizations throughout Massachusetts. It improves the industry by uniting fishermen to pursue common goals in such areas as ocean policy, research, and social support.
Maine Lobstermen’s Association
Established in 1954, the Maine Lobstermen’s Association is the oldest and largest fishing industry organization on the east coast. The MLA takes an active role in issues affecting the lobster industry, including responsible resource management, and is a highly regarded advocate for the prosperity of commercial lobstermen and related businesses in Maine’s coastal communities. Fishing Partnership is pleased to team up with the MLA to support the health and well-being of its 1,200 members.
Health Care for All
This non-profit organization is dedicated to helping Massachusetts residents get health insurance. When our members need special assistance in finding the right plans or provider networks, we refer them to an expert at Health Care for All.
Many local organizations help us improve access to health screenings, free vaccines, and health education by bringing these services right to the harbor.
- Dana Farber Cancer Institute Blum Outreach Van
- Southcoast Health Van
- Visiting Nurse Association of Cape Cod
- Community Nurse of Fairhaven
- Chatham Health Department
- Gloucester Health Department
- Melanoma Foundation of New England
- Visiting Dental Associates of Massachusetts
- Mass Audiology
- New Bedford Board of Health
Safety and Survival Trainers
We want every commercial fisherman who goes to sea to learn how to respond to emergencies and how to survive them.
- The training course was developed by New Directions Southcoast, Inc.
- Trainings are led by Coast Guard-Certified Fishing Vessel Safety Instructors.
- Many local organizations donate equipment, facilities and support for these trainings, and we’re incredibly grateful for their contributions:
- U.S. Coast Guard
- Hercules SLR (US), Inc.
- Life Raft and Survival Equipment Co.
- City of New Bedford
- New Bedford Harbor Development Commission
- UMass Dartmouth, SMAST
- Marine Safety Consultants
- North East Safety Training Co.
- Blaney Marine Safety
- Ocean Marine Insurance Agency
- Certified Rescue Courses: New York Center for Agricultural Medicine and Health; Alaska Marine Safety Education Association
Fishing Partnership is grateful to everyone who donates their time, professional expertise, and financial support to our organization. We’d especially like to acknowledge the Boston Port and Seamen’s Aid Society, the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Foundation, and the law firm of Ropes & Gray for significant annual contributions that are vital to our ongoing efforts on behalf of fishing families.